What is "ACCEL"?
Academically Challenging Curriculum to Enhance Learning (ACCEL) is part of Florida state law (Florida Statute 1002.3105), and was adopted in the Spring 2014.
Students in grades K-12 in Polk County Public Schools are eligible to participate in an ACCEL option when they have successfully completed academically challenging coursework in the previous school year or performed at the 93rd percentile or higher on a series of SAT10 subtests taken during the summer.
Options for eligible students include:
- subject matter acceleration within a student's regular classroom
- subject matter acceleration within a student's enrolled school
- virtual instruction in a higher grade level subject
- whole grade and mid-year promotion
- high school credit acceleration granted by passing appropriate state End of Course Exams (EOC)
What are some benefits for students who are in ACCEL?
- Students in an ACCEL option will be stretched academically by participating in more challenging curriculum
- Students may have opportunity to participate in extra curricular activities that students at their age/grade level would not normally
- Students may be able to take middle school, high school, and/or college level courses earlier in their academic career
What are the pre-requisites for student to participate in ACCEL?
- Students have successfully completed academically challenging coursework in the previous school year or performed at the 93rd percentile or higher on a series of SAT10 subtests taken during the summer
- Students have a record of good attendance and conduct
- Students are recommended by a teacher and school counselor or administrator
Polk County Public Schools Criteria - Request for Academic Acceleration
Additional ACCEL options may include, but are not limited to, enriched science, technology, engineering, and mathematics coursework; enrichment programs; flexible grouping; advanced academic courses; combined classes; self-paced instruction; rigorous industry certifications that are articulated to college credit and approved pursuant to ss. 1003.492 and 1008.44; work-related internships or apprenticeships; curriculum compacting; advanced-content instruction; and telescoping curriculum.
District Expectations for students in ACCEL
Parents/Guardians of interested students should contact their school for information specific to their child's situation.