Florida Virtual School (FLVS) and the Florida Safety Council have teamed up to take Driver's Education to the next level! As a franchise of FLVS, Polk Virtual School also offers Drivers Education to Polk County students. Now, Polk County students can enroll in both the online Driver's Ed course and behind-the-wheel training for FREE! Students can complete the course in 6-8 weeks or can talk with their FLVS instructor about an accelerated 3-week pace plan.
Minimum age requirement of 14.5 years of age
- Create an account or sign in at Florida Virtual
- Register for Driver Education class
- Semester long course - 18 weeks or accelerated to be completed in as little as 3 weeks
- Awarded a grade and 0.5 elective credit (Satisfying the online graduation requirement)
- Receive the Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Training (TLSAE) waiver (also known as DATA, DATE, or Drug and Alcohol Course) required to get permit
Opportunity to take the permit exam online with Driversed.com completely free of charge
- Study for your General Knowledge Exam by reviewing the Florida Driver Handbook
- Make sure you’re prepared by taking a Practice General Knowledge Exam
- Take the online Learners Permit Exam ( If you are 18 or over you must take this test at the Tax Collector's Office in person.)
- Strongly Recommended
- 6 hours of Behind the Wheel (BTW) training with a certified driving instructor from Florida Safety Council free of charge
- Must hold a Florida Learners Permit to be eligible for training
- Florida Safety Council will contact students after completion of the Driver Education Course
- If you have not been contacted for your BTW training session, you may contact Florida Safety Council
- Find out more about the Behind the Wheel lessons
- Strongly Recommended
- Course is held by the Polk County Sheriff's Office
- Student must be at least 15 and not older than 20
- Must hold a Florida Learners Permit or Driver's License
- Students must provide their own vehicle
- 2 day training
- Check the Polk County Sheriff's Office website for available course dates.
Driver License (Intermediate Class E License)
- Prepare for the road test (link to road test document)
- Make an appointment for the road test at the Tax Collector's Office
- Practice driving with an accompanying licensed driver.
- Accompanying driver must hold a valid driver license.
- Accompanying driver must be at least 21 years of age.
- Accompanying driver must occupy the closest seat to the right of the driver.
- May operate a vehicle only during daylight hours, after three months the holder of the learner's license may operate a vehicle until 10:00 p.m.
- Drivers with a Learner's license are not allowed to operate motorcycles, mopeds, or go-peds.
For more information on obtaining a learning permit or driver license, visit OMW Polk.