Polk Preschool Programs are built on the premise that every family, regardless of economic status, needs support. Given that support, every member of the family can grow. Together the family members will gain confidence in themselves as individuals and as a family unit. And it works!
Choosing an early education program for your child is one of the most important decisions you will make as a parent. We understand how important it is to you and your family that you have the information you need to make an informed decision.
Do you want your child to…
- Learn to make good choices and decisions?
- Develop good listening, speaking skills?
- Enjoy learning?
- Read for enjoyment and for information?
- Discover ways to work out math problems?
- Get along with others?
- Love school?
Polk County Schools’ Preschool Programs are dedicated to providing a classroom that addresses your child’s developmental and educational needs. Check us out.
This is what you will see:
- Low student to teacher ratios
- Highly qualified instructors- Instructional staff hold Child Development Associate Credentials and/or Associate, Bachelor or Master Degrees with State DCF or DOE certification
- Student Selected and Teacher Directed Activities - consistent daily routines provide opportunities for instruction and exploration
- Ongoing Interaction - teachers support socialization and language growth by use of research based conversational techniques with children
- Consistent Supervision - good health and safety habits are promoted and implemented
- Low Staff Turnover
- High Program Standards
2018 SUMMER VPK Enrollment
- Obtain your Florida VPK Certificate of Eligibility for SY 2017-18
- Public School application:Coming May 2018
2018-19 Prekindergarten Enrollment Steps
Applications for the 2018-19 school year will be accepted beginning March 1, 2018.
Step 1: Florida VPK Certificate of Eligibility
If your child will be 4-years-old on or before September 1, 2018 then
If your child will be 3-years-old on or before September 1, 2018.
- Go to Step 2: Choose program option: Head Start or Child Find –Special Needs
- All VPK options are for 4-year-olds only.
Step 2: Choose your program option: click the links below to learn more about each program
Step 3: Complete and submit the application
There are different eligibility and documentation requirements for the Head Start and the VPK programs. Please follow the directions for each program.
Early Childhood Program Philosophy
Quality early childhood programs provide a safe and nurturing environment that promotes the physical, social, emotional and cognitive development of young children while responding to the needs of the families.
Developmentally appropriate preschool programs make a significant difference in the child's ability to learn how to learn. Thus, we accept the responsibility to provide a program in which:
- Children construct their own knowledge as a result of interaction between their thoughts and experiences with materials, ideas and people.
- The curriculum and classroom adult’s interactions with children and parents are responsive to individual needs.
- Children will develop language ability necessary to enable them to master the skills of future education and life experiences.
- Care is taken to coordinate every early childhood program in order to ensure an overall quality program.
Is your child ready for Kindergarten?
About the Kindergarten Readiness Checklist
- The checklist is designed to help you prepare your child for school.
- The checklist is designed to help you look at your child’s physical, social, emotional and cognitive development.
- The checklist includes tips to help guide you as you work and play with your child.
- The checklist contains items that are important to your child’s success in kindergarten. It is designed for four and five year olds.
- The criteria for many items on the checklist should not be applied to children three years old or younger.
- If, after completing the checklist, you have significant concerns about your child being successful in kindergarten, you may wish to call CHILD FIND, 863-647-4262.
- The checklist is designed as a guideline only.
Before you begin, remember:
- You are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- Every day your child is learning as you talk, play and work together.
- Readiness is a combination of age, individual growth and experience.
- Your child will develop at his or her own rate; however, your involvement will promote readiness.
- Your child will learn by doing.
- Remember that play is an essential part of learning.
- Your child learns best when he or she is involved in activities that are interesting and fun.
View the Kindergarten Readiness Checklist
Preschool Programs Employment Information
Preschool Programs offer a variety of employment opportunities for qualified applicants. We are looking for adults who:
- Care deeply about young children
- Respect the role of the parent & family
- Partner well with other qualified adults
- Desire to grow professionally
- Support the implementation of the Early Childhood Program Philosophy of Polk County Public Schools
Click here for information on how to apply for:
Click here for: